Southwater Parish Area
Southwater has a square area of 1,400 hectares (5.4 square miles). Southwater Parish is the 18th largest parish by area of all 33 parishes within the Horsham District. Click for areas of each of the Parishes within the Horsham area.
Within this area Southwater Parish Council (SPC) manage 3 facilities at Beeson House, Southwater Leisure Centre and Easteds Barn.
Within the Southwater Parish Area, Horsham Distrcit Council are responsible for the management of Southwater Country Park, Lintot Square, including the car park but excluding Beeson House and the Park & Ride area at Hop Oast. The waste Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS) area at Hop Oast is managed by West Sussex Council Council (WSCC)
Southwater Parish Population
With an estimated 2018 population of 11,309, Southwater is the 3rd largest populated parish with the Horsham District area, behind Horsham Town - Speical (unparished) and North Horsham respectively.
One of the oldest buildings in the parish is Great House Farmhouse, a listed building at Grade II* built up from a late medieval structure in the Tudor period just west of the town. Whilst mixed agriculture provided a lucrative industry for centuries, much of the population of Southwater originated from the workforce of the brick industry which thrived in the clay-pits until the 1980s. Following the closure of the brickworks, there was a project implemented to transform the area into a country park, which is now a major family attraction in the district.
In 2006 the centre of Southwater Village was renewed at a cost of £25 million.
Southwater has three public houses: the Hen and Chicken; the Cock Inn (now called The Tipsy Fox); and the Lintot which opened soon after the building of Lintot Square – the name is a reference to Barnaby Bernard Lintot (1675–1736), an English publisher born in Southwater.
Southwater Country Park is a 70-acre site with three lakes and numerous access paths located close to the centre of the village. The Park contains a visitor centre with information displays, and also a café, and a children's adventure playground, and Southwater Water Sports Centre with facilities for sailing and canoeing. The Country Park and the Southwater Area Community Centre both have direct access to the Downs Link footpath/cycleway.
History of the Village Sign
In 2005 a competition was launched to design A Village Sign which would represent Southwater’s Industrial past. The winner was local resident Gabi Butler whose winning design was made and installed by a local blacksmith the same year.
The large wheel represents the Wheelwrights which closed in 1950, the small wheel is for the Railway which closed in 1964, and the tall Chimney as you rightly say indicates the presence of the Brickworks which closed in 1981.
The wavy lines at the bottom are symbolic of the ghyll and streams which run through the Village.
Five signs were commissioned and erected at the 5 access points to the Village i.e. Worthing Road ( north ) opposite Roman Lane, Worthing Road ( south ) near Hop Oast Roundabout, Shipley Road, Church Lane and Southwater Street.