Email: Tel: 01403 733202

General Public Information 

Sussex Police - Crime Stoppers

Crimestoppers call anonymously with information 0800 555 111

North Horsham County Local Committee

What is a County Local Committee?

County Local Committee (CLC) are West Sussex County Councils approach to involving local residents in decision making.  They aim to bring County Councillors closer to local people and you closer to  our County Council.  For more information click here

Noisy Cars causing you a problem.. Read on for advice and assistance

This is the advice of the Local Police regarding car noise.  

"The external noise emitted by passenger cars has been controlled since 1929 (see Motor Cars (Excessive Noise) regulations). Permitted noise levels have been reducing and today the limit is 74 dB (A) (this was established in 1996). The vast majority of large or big bore exhausts are illegal for use on public roads. The fact they may have passed an MOT test is irrelevant as this only checks for exhaust gasses and emission legislation compliance.  Big bore and sports exhaust systems are usually fitted to increase the sound emitted and this contravenes the Type Approval of the vehicle, which is an offence. There is no requirement for a police officer to measure the sound level from the exhaust system, it only requires an opinion that the system is not standard and that it is noisier than a normal vehicle of the same specification.  It is not an offence to sell these exhaust systems, but it is an offence to fit one to your vehicle and drive it on a public road. Motorists who do so could be reported to court and may face a fine and court costs."

If you are concerned about this matter, we would suggest you use the non-emergency 101 number to contact your local police and discuss the circumstances with them. Don't put yourself in harm's way - but ( if it is safe to do so)  make a note of the car registration number and the time and place so that you can pass this information on to the Police.  We cannot say what action the Police will take, as this will depend on the circumstances and the available evidence, but if residents can supply the evidence to the Police then the Police will have something to act upon if they are able.  Remember - call 101 (non-emergency number) to discuss this with them

Power Cut? - Call 105 

Experiencing a power cut? No matter who your provider is, 105 is the number to call to get emergency help and advice, free of charge on mobile and landlines.

WHY 105? - Many people don’t know they should contact their local electricity network operator if they have a power cut. They often mistakenly call the electricity supplier they pay their bills to. That’s why the electricity network operators have introduced 105 – to give you an easy-to-remember number to call that will put you through to the local people who can help.

Click for more information



Linked documents

727 KB